Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Today I heard about a man whose wife wanted a divorce after 42 years of marriage.  They still love each other and spend time together, they just live in seperate houses.  He didn't like the way she decorated the house and she didn't like his collection of stuff in the garage, so they ended the marriage.  Huh?  Really?

My husband and I have been married for 12 years and dated for 4 years before that.  In our marriage, we have been apart more than together.  Between his service in the army, working nights while I worked days, a contracting job in Iraq, and truck driving, I have hardly seen my best friend.  We have racked up countless hours on the phone and text message between calls.  We both cried along with the kids when his face appeared on the computer thanks to Yahoo Messenger.  We cherish the time we have together because we know the pain of being apart.  When my husband is home (or within driving distance), the world stops for me and nothing else matters.  We look forward to date nights, even when we end up going grocery shopping or watching a movie at home.  I am also looking forward to the time when kissing each other goodnight doesn't just happen once a week.

No comments: